DSS (Digital Speech Standard) files are audio files that are usually saved by a speech recognition program or a voice recorder. They are highly compressed and this allows them to have a really high quality. Not many users are familiar with this type because these files are mostly used in a professional environment.
Positive Aspects of DSS Files
Using DSS format has a lot of pluses, mainly because of its compression. For example, sending these files is quick and easy because of the file size, which is greatly reduced. The size also helps when dealing with huge amounts of files that need to be processed. DSS files don’t take a lot of computer memory, so they can be stored in large amounts for future reference. Also, the files can contain additional information which can be useful.
Reasons for Converting DSS to MP3
Even though DSS format has a lot of pros, there are some drawbacks. MP3 files are much more versatile as they are compatible with a lot of programs while the usage of DSS files is limited. Additionally, DSS files are not compatible with the majority of audio devices like MP3 players, iPods, and other various music players. This makes MP3 format more user-friendly and more useful when actually working with the audio.
The Steps of DSS to MP3 Conversion
- Firstly, you should find a website that offers the service of file format conversion. You can either use the website template or download an application (for example, Switch converter from NCH website, which is the recommended method). Link to software: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
- After opening Switch converter, click on “Add Files”. Select the needed DSS file.
- Choose the location where you want to save your MP3 file by pressing “Browse”. Select the place to save the file.
- It is important to select the new (MP3) format of the file in order for it to be converted. Near “Output Format”, there is a drop-down menu where you can choose from a wide variety of file types. Press “.mp3”.
- Finally, you just simply need to select “Convert” and the conversion process will begin. It may take some time and the progress bar is shown. After the DSS file is converted to MP3 file, you will get a pop-up notification.
So, even though DSS files are really useful because of their compression and high quality, MP3 files are also necessary because of the compatibility with various devices. In order to efficiently work with the files, various professionals (like transcribers) should convert them to MP3 format.